WCACO member Sue Redfern has been appointed to umpire the Women’s Test Match between England and India at the County Ground, Bristol. The match is played on 16 – 19 June. It will be broadcast on Sky Sports Cricket from 10:30am each day.
We have received the following information from Martin Gentle, Interim Head of ACO & Membership Service Manager:
The ECB has now updated its guidance for organised cricket activity following the announcement by the UK Government on Monday to move to step 3 of the roadmap out of lockdown. You can read the updated guidance here: https://resources.ecb.co.uk/ecb/document/2021/05/13/bb725594-cf9f-40e6-8889-886ddb87ef9b/Recreational-Cricket-COVID-Guidance-in-England-Step-3-May.pdf
The main headlines under Step 3 guidance are as follows:
- On-field Activities: All on-field restrictions remain as previously communicated
- Changing rooms: can open where it is safe to do so but social distancing and other mitigation measures must be observed, including restrictions on capacity limits.
- Hospitality: Clubhouses and facilities that serve food and drink can open. At Step 3, both indoor and outdoor hospitality will be permitted. The provision of food and beverage should be as per government guidance on hospitality settings
- Teas: Teas can now by served at clubs where this can be done safely and in compliance with government guidance on hospitality settings.
- Spectators: Spectators are permitted at both public and private venues. Spectators must observe social distancing and legal gathering size limits (groups of up to 30 outdoors).
- Travel: Car sharing is permitted at Step 3 for sport in accordance with the government guidance for safer travel.
- Scoreboxes Both scorers can now sit in a scorebox providing the scorebox is large enough to allow social distancing between the scorers.
Please note these changes apply to England only and are effective from Monday May 17th. Any updates for Wales will be advised in due course.
Please note also that each club will be making its own decision as to whether they feel they can safely provide changing facilities and/or teas. No doubt this type of information will be communicated locally but you should be aware that there maybe clubs/leagues who decide not to change the arrangements that are in place currently.
The relaxation of the guidance about spectators means that umpire boundary observations are now permitted and I will be advising the CDOs and RDOs in a separate email.
It would appear that we are about to make another step on the road to normality and I am particularly looking forward to the resumption of teas!
Interim Head of ACO & Membership Service Manager (ECBACO)
England & Wales Cricket Board
Rob Evans, our County Umpire Education Officer recently took part in BBC Zoom call with representatives from the ECB and two cricket clubs; Graces from London and Unicorns from Birmingham. The meeting was held to discuss the importance of an upcoming match to be held on 23rd May at Weoley Hill. We believe that this will be the first game held anywhere in the world between two LGBTQ+ cricket teams.
The discussion has been released as an article on the BBC Sport website and also as a podcast that can be found at this link
The game is supported by the ECB and will be used to introduce this year’s ECB Rainbow Laces campaign. Rob Evans and Matt Ivory will be officiating.
Safeguarding Young Cricketers (SYC), is an online one hour free safeguarding training session.
1. It is a self-taught course, showing scenarios and video clips whilst talking about safeguarding policies and guidance.
2. You are provided with a link to register and complete the one-hour session.
3. There are 10 questions at the end of the course to check understanding.
4. You will receive a certificate online to show that you have completed the course.
5. Anyone interested should email Amanda Felton: email@example.com
Finally, Amanda has asked us that, should you ever wish to share any safeguarding concerns or issues that you may have, please contact her and she will do her best to help answer them or provide you with the correct information.